Core – Complete all of the following:
College Report – Student must complete a College Report that compares and contrasts 3 colleges of consideration. A completed Excel report must be included in the student portfolio. Guidelines for the report are available in the link below. The link just beneath the Report Guidelines will allow you to download and use an Excel template for the college report. List the colleges to be compared horizontally and the data points vertically. Students may find the College Navigator website as well as individual college and university websites helpful as they gather data to compete the college report.
Formal College Campus Visit – Student must schedule and attend a formal campus visit at the college of their choice. Various campus visit opportunities are available and can usually be explored by visiting an institution’s website. Examples of opportunities available at some local institutions are posted at the links below. Students will use the College Visit Document to gather information during their visit and include the report in the student portfolio.
Supplemental – Complete four of the following*:
Submit a College Application – Student will submit a college application to any post-secondary institution (public or private). Post-secondary institutions that offer certificate programs, 2-year associate degrees and/or 4-year bachelor degrees all meet the definition of college. Proof of application submission in the portfolio can include any of the following: a copy of an email or electronic communication from the institution stating that the application has been submitted, documentation that an application fee has been paid, or an admissions acceptance letter.
Letter of Recommendation – Student will obtain at least one letter of recommendation for use in scholarship and/or college admissions applications. Student will use the JATC “College & Scholarship Recommendation Form” available from the link below to obtain their letter of recommendation. A copy of the letter of recommendation must be included in the student portfolio.
College Application Essay
– Student will write and include a college admissions essay in their student portfolio. The CollegeBoard has essay writing tips and sample essays at the link below.
(CollegeBoard Writing tips/Sample Essays
FAFSA Completion Open House
(Seniors Only) – Student must attend a FAFSA Completion Open House sponsored by StepUP Utah/UHEAA. Resource literature from the presentation must be included in the portfolio. FAFSA Completion Night Open Houses, including dates and locations, are posted on the link below. You can also check your home high school calendar for their scheduled FAFSA Completion night.
(FAFSA Completion Night Open Houses
Scholarship Award – Student must receive a scholarship award. Certification of this award would be the inclusion of the award letter in the student portfolio.
Concurrent Enrollment Credit
– Student must earn Concurrent Enrollment credit from one of JATC’s partnering higher education institutions. Certification of this credit would be the inclusion of a copy of the transcript that shows awarded credit in the student portfolio. Unofficial transcripts are satisfactory. Unofficial transcripts from the Salt Lake Community College partner can be obtained from the student’s MyPage account. Weber State, Utah State, and Utah Valley University have similar student portals where unofficial transcripts can be obtained.
High School Transcript – Student must include a copy of their high school transcript in their student portfolio. High school transcripts are generally available from the boundary school’s registrar’s office through a request form. High school transcripts cannot be generated at the JATC.
– Student must include a copy of their ACT or SAT results in their portfolio. The documentation must be one of two options: the complete score report from ACT or SAT (available online), or the basic scores included on the high school transcript. Get your ACT Score Report Here
. Get your SAT Score Report Here
FAFSA Application – Student must complete a FAFSA application. Certification of a FAFSA submission to the federal government would be the inclusion of a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) in the student portfolio. The SAR is generally delivered via email 72 hours after submission of an electronic FAFSA. Personal information (such as income) should be removed or hidden. For more information and guidance on FAFSA submission, students should attend a FAFSA Completion Open House sponsored by the Utah Council and UHEAA. Additional information is available in the Financial Aid section of the JATC website. (seniors only)
– Student must take the PSAT/NMSQT examination in the fall of their junior year. A copy of the test results must be included in the student portfolio for certification. High schools administer the PSAT/NMSQT each October. Students should check with the Guidance Center at their boundary school for testing date and registration information.
College Graduation Plan – Student will research and include a copy of a 1, 2, or 4 year course requirement plan for their intended program of study, degree, or major. Program requirements for certifications, professional licenses, degrees, and majors are readily available on each college/university website.
– Student must complete and submit at least two scholarship applications. Scholarship opportunities are posted on the JATC website under the “Current Students
” navigation menu. A copy of the applications, email confirmations or a print screen verification of the electronic submission of the applications must be included in the student portfolio.